Today in EDCI 336 we had a great talk about social media and internet safety with a guest name Jesse Miller. Listening to my instructor, it sounded like we were fortunate to land someone with as much expertise to talk to our class. Miller presents his social media conversation as a keynote event or conference host to businesses and professional groups around North America. We had an insightful conversation about social media and how it is addressed and utilised in a school. While we were engaged with Miller, I found myself thinking of my online identity, how I plan to use social media appropriately as a teacher, and how I’m going to teach students valuable skills around social media. For me, much of what Miller said was review. For many years already, I have shaped my online identity with school district professionalism in mind.

I take my social media responsibilities seriously as an educator. I am aware that as a teacher I’ll be seen as a role model and youth will take my lead when it comes to engaging in technology and social media. I think students have more access and more stimuli than ever before, and I think there are specific skills and attitudes needed to develop healthy social media behaviours. Miller’s conversation was useful in touching on awareness of our own social media footprint as well as highlighting the areas of improvement needed with today’s youth and social media.

A number of students in my class had questions to clarify what types of things would be appropriate to post on social media as a teacher. Miller had a repeated response that amused me. Well, the response didn’t amuse me, the idea of someone hearing his response for the first time was what I found amusing. “Teachers must get used to the idea that they are held to a higher standard than other citizens”. A higher standard. It’s totally true, and I’ve lived that reality since I began working with vulnerable populations in 2008.

What excites me is the opportunity to hold my students to a higher standard. I’m excited to tackle tough social media issues with students, wade through myths with students, and promote healthy social media use. As a teacher candidate in Physical and Health Education, I am in the perfect arena to make an impact on this important issue that will only become more important.

Jesse Miller (@MediatedReality) is a consultant  at https://www.mediatedreality.com/